Performance reviews, love them or hate them, are unsurprisingly one of the leading causes of stress in the workplace.
Why? Because the more meaning we give to something, the more stress it gives us. And when we factor in job promotion, security, or satisfaction, the stakes get even higher.
We can’t untangle stress from a meaningful life, but we can learn to make it work for us, not against us.
Use these self-reflection prompts to get prepared, gain control, and take the stress out of your next performance review.
Oh, and People Managers can benefit too. Share these prompts with your reports before their review, to supercharge its impact.
🏆 Reflect on your past…
- What are some of the projects or tasks that I am most proud of completing this year?
- Why are these accomplishments significant?
- What specific actions or contributions did I make that led to successful outcomes?
- What are some of the challenges or obstacles I encountered this year, and how did I respond to them?
- What feedback did I receive from colleagues or supervisors?
- How did this feedback make me feel?
🔍 Inspect your present…
- What do I want to get out of my review?
- How will I use the feedback I receive and when will I start to implement it?
- What skills or knowledge areas do I feel I need to improve in to better perform my job?
- When I’m happiest at work, what am I spending my time on?
- How can I do more of that in the day to day?
🧭 Map out your future…
- What kind of contribution do I want to make in my organisation?
- What difference do I want to make to others with the work I’m doing?
- What content do I need to consume to broaden my knowledge and become the person I want to be?
- How can I be proactive and keep track of my personal achievements and positive feedback?
Take it to your coach
Want to explore your strengths, skills or career goals before your next review? Or perhaps you want to dig into how stress could be holding you back. More Happi provides access to high-quality, affordable 1:1 coaching to help you overcome obstacles, solve problems and get where you want to go, faster. Discover more here.